Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas time is coming soon (12/13/10)

Dear Readers,
It is I again Sister Holt. I love being a missionary and I love Christmas time. I love california and I love Stockton most especially. Basically my life is the best life ever. I get to meet crazy people that believe Jesus is an alien but then I also get to meet amazing people who have been searching for the truth all their life. There is nothing like being a missionary.
Ok so funny stories didn't really occur this week but we have had some interesting run ins. The Bishop told us of a member he would like us to visit. Solomon is his name, when we arrive at the apt someone answers the door we ask for solomon then another person comes to the door. "He stepped out to do some shopping." because he just moved so I ask, "who are you two? Solomons friends?" The one that answers the door says in a DEEP voice "I'm Lisa, his wife." The other is Gina a friend. Then I notice that this person looks as though she is a man but has a bun on her head and is a wife.?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?We report our visit to the Bishop so he is aware and then he tells us that his wife just had a sex change and recently got married. So we have to figure out some how what to do because Solomon wants to become active again and go to the Temple. I will keep you updated.
Miracles Miracles... all of the Anslinger family is getting baptized. We are so happy. Lillian is really starting to open up and is telling us about her concerns but now she is incouraging her children and niece to be baptized. We think real soon she will be coming along as well. We know that it is her husband that is holding her back. He was baptized long ago and never really gained a testimony and doesn't obey the word of wisdom so we just need to get them strong to be a good influence on him. The Church is true.
For the first time of my life I realized how blessed I am and how much suffering goes on in this world that I never experienced... We went to go see someone and we always see homeless people walking down a sidewalk so we decided to go see what it's all about. We walked down and there is this little alley way with a fence on both sides and a little pond. between the fence and the river there are tents (if you are lucky enough to have a tent) and matresses put up as walls and tarps as roofs and many other contraptions that they come up with to shelter them at night. It is so hard to look at that while I walk down the sidewalk with my scarf, boots, gloves, and coat. I still can't convince myself to realize people live that way for real. That is when the Gospel becomes more real to me. If everyone believed the gospel with all their heart, might, mind, and strength there would be no homeless. There would be no hungry or cold. This is the one true church on the earth and I know that with all of my heart. I am so grateful for that. I pray I can someday help someone in need and show them the blessings of the gospel.
The other day we went to go see a deaf women named Ella. We would go visit her once a week and just see if there is anything we could do. She is not really interested in the Gospel but needs a friend so we go over. This last time she texted us and said she has no money for rent or food so we gathered up a bunch of food from members and brought it to her and told her that there is more waiting for her. She denied us. She refused to come to church because she has tried church before and knows it won't help her. She said why should she go to church for God when he is not blessing her when she needs him. It broke my heart she didn't understand and it didn't matter how many times we promised her she would be blessed for coming and showing God first she refused. So we left empty handed and she went back into her home with no electricity and no food and no furtiture because she denied the one thing that could really help her in her life. I will forever keep her in my heart and know that when I find something to help her with I will do whatever in my power to find her a home and give her food. She has a place in my heart that burns deep for her. I think about her often and what I can do to help her realize what she needs.
Well the Christmas season burns bright and i love the Gospel of Jesus Christ and I love being a missionary and I am starting to come to grips that one day it will end but until then this is the best thing in my life. I love it. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good week.
I love you all
Love Sister Holt
Be happy and keep smiling

No comments: