Monday, December 27, 2010

Stockton (10/18/10)

Hello everyone,
another week on stockton. I can't believe how fast time flies. I really feel that i emailed you all yesterday. Stockton is so great I love it here. The people are amazing and my comp is so much fun. I love serving my mission. There are so many great people that I get to meet that I never would have if i didn't decide to serve a mission.
Alvin and Adnan "D" two of our investigators. They are so funny I love them to death. I feel like they are my best friends because we just get along so well. We are able to share the gospel with them and it's very spiritual and then we laugh our heads off the next minute, then go back to spiritual. They are so great. We have taught D two times and the first time we shared the story of Joseph Smith with him and we had shared it with alvin before. But then the next time we met with them we gave them copies of the Book of Mormon and Alvin was asking all these questions of where it came from, what's it about, etc... D was answering all of them. Then he told him the story of Joseph Smith. It was amazing then we told him how happy we were he knew that and he just looked at us and said, "duh, i'm not like every other man, i listen." They keep us going that is for sure. They are probably two of my favorite people. They are soaking up the gospel and especially D loves church and loves learning about it. I feel that we met Alvin so we could find D.
Kenny is our other miracle. We went to a members house to get them to do missionary work for us. When we got there their neighbors were outside so of course we got out and talked to them. He said he was agnostic and didn't really have a direction he was going. He knew some mormons in his life and thought they were just really great people. We continued talking to him and it was a great discussion. We gave him a Book of Mormon and he has been reading it. He wants to meet with us again so hopefully we can set up a time this week to go over and see him. While we were talking to him the member came home and left again so we didn't even get to meet with them. But we were not sent there to visit those members we were there to meet Kenny and help him find the path to lead his life. It was really cool. So please keep him in your prayers that he will have time and desire to meet with us this week. and come to church on sunday.
Karl is a less active member. He is from the pacific island in micronesia. So it's like i am in the marshallese program again. he is really cool. He went to church and conf. then was baptized. This was about a year ago. hasn't been to church since. He doesn't really know why he quit going because he feels it is true but he just keeps saying he will go but then he never does. He works at a japanese restaurant so we visit him there. SIster Badger has been trying to get him to church for 7 months and he always says he will but never does. So she said it's my turn to try now. I started asking him questions and he doesn't like to talk much so you really have to dig to get him to talk. But we got him to open up just a little. Then I started to ask him about where he was from and his language and how you say different words. He just started talking and teaching us about his island and everything. It was really cool but sadly we had to leave so we are seeing him again this week. I am going to keep trying to talk to him about his culture because if i learned one thing about islanders is they love you if you learn about them. (really any culture). Hopefully we can get him back into church and doing the right things.
There have been many miracles and wonderful spirituall things happening this week. I love being a missionary there is no greater calling. So I am sure there will be loads more this next week. And we have a baptism on friday. Paula our little 11 year old. She is so excited everytime we see her she is counting down the days. We are hoping Bre and Russell will join in the baptism but we are not sure with them not yet. You will find out next monday what happened there. And this week I start exchanges again. So i will be visiting different sisters again. YEah so fun. I love this work. and I love you all.
Love Sister Holt
Be happy and keep smiling

No comments: