Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Marshallese and Tongan (4/26/10)




Pic 1 Piola's Baptism Dinner
Pic 2 My excellent pic skills, Temple Flowers
Pic 3 Sis Fangupo, Takilang, Joe (investigator), Asakko (girlfriend/member), Nieo (investigator, May 9th), Me
Pic 4 thats us and that is Marshallese.

Yakwe and Malo e' lele,

Happy to talk to you all. I love these people it is go fun to serve with the Marshallese and Tongan people. There is so much for me to learn here and I can't believe the Lord has given me the opportunity to work in this area. My comps are so great they are so loving and have such amazing skills. Sis Fangupo is from Tonga and Sis Takilang is from the Marshall Islands. I have had enough food this past week to last me the whole transfer. I can't believe it, I'm gonna get so fat, I eat so much food that I'm not sure I can even swallow water but it is delicious and not very nutritious but you know. What can you do? I have met some great people that have a loving spirit. I was welcomed into the area with a Tongan baptism Piola she is so great has a strong spirit and She is so happy. We ate tons of food there don't worry. I love the way the Tongans sing, it is so loud and full of spirit no one is shy of singing and it is beautiful. Marshallese are so sweet, they don't have a lot but they are so willing to give and serve. We have added a couple investigators this week, 2 of which will be baptized soon, one on mother's day, We have a few baptisms on mother's day and next week. Oh my these people are so funny they just love to laugh.

I am learning the languages a little bit. It is so hard. I don't really have to learn because they know english but sometimes it is easier for them to speak in their own language so there is a lot i miss out on but I still feel the spirit and my comps are great to translate. Sis Takilang translates a lot and we teach a lot of marshallese. That is where we spend most of our time. I LOVE IT. We went on a temple tour and it was fun, it just so happened to be the deaf session so I was able to see a few of my ward members from the deaf branch and say goodbye. The Marshallese branch was opened last week so this was the first Sunday as a Branch and it was so good. The Fijians have been combined with it so the branch president is Fijian and he is amazing. He is perfect to be the President. Oh man I just love these people so much I can't express it. I don't know if I want to leave this program, I am hoping I can stay here for a transfer or two. I have lots of pictures and The weather is great and The people are so nice.

Oh my I almost forgot the best story of all. The first day I got here we had an appt to do service for an old Marshallese couple that are in wheelchairs. We were going to clean their house. We start to empty the cupboards and I yeah it's me that finds it. Where all the cockroaches live. AHHHHHHHHHHH they were everywhere. Dead ones, live ones, big, little,, and even their sheddings. Oh my gosh it was disgusting. But I stayed strong and I started to pull things out with these bugs crawling all over me. OH alskdfjas;lkhas;lk it was so gross but I am so proud to say I did it. But we got a spray and we sprayed the cupboard and they all came running. There were so many of them they climbed up the wall on the floor up to the ceiling. OH it was covered in cockroaches. So many they started to fall off the ceiling on our heads. bahhahahahaahhahahaaaaaaa so gross. I wanted to scream but I did it. Then I showered the second I was done. I WAS BRAVE momma. But that is not typical for Marshallese houses it was just because they were both in wheelchairs and couldn't reach it to clean it but oh man I dunno when I will be going back there to clean. ughhhhhadhahaha Anyway I have had that experience and lived through it. Bring it on dude.Love you all and be happy talk to you next week.

Love Sister Holt
Be Happy and Keep Smiling

No comments: